red sex-links, 8 wks. one is really making me wonder.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by haTHOR, May 4, 2009.

1. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    i posted a couple weeks ago about these "ladies". a few people responded that it was hard to tell, etc...and to give it some time.

now, the difference is more marked. one has a really red comb, while the other hardly has a comb at all and it's pearly pink. red-comb (we call her ruby) has BRIGHT marigold feet/legs, and they are way bigger than pearl's, whose feet/legs are light light pink. now ruby has black feathers coming in at her tail while pearl has none.

attitude wise, ruby jumps at the grown hens, and is always tryingto pick a fight.

i'll get pics in a few minutes, but are there any tried and true ways to tell?

i guess the question is IF they were truly sex-links or chicks born FROM sex-links. they came from a local seller who seemed confused. if they are sex-links the red feathers mean it's 100% that they are females...right? but if they are second generation red sex links, their color is no longer a for-sure indicator, right?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  2. Domestic_goddess

Domestic_goddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2009
    Utah
    I think we need to see pictures to answer your questions![​IMG]

3. haTHOR

haTHOR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Near Asheville, NC
    [​IMG] lol i know...been waiting on batteries to charge and will be back shortly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by