Red Sex Links and Black Sex Links

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by shy, Jul 28, 2008.

1. shy

shy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2008
    Okay I went to buy 5 laying pullets and came home with 10 instead. Anyhow, I got some red sex links and some black sex links. How do they lay compared to a RIR? Are they made just so it is easier to sex? Or is the mixing so they lay better too?

2. consdrs

consdrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    Vancouver, WA
    LOL!!! join the club! I went to get 5 pullets and ended up with 10! (I'll have one of those and one of those.... gotta have one of those!) well thinking we would loose a few due to ignorance. But all are alive and healthy and awaiting the laying of the first egg. 17 weeks old now. I also got 3 red sexlinks and 3 black sexlinks. the black ones are so beautiful to look at, in the sun they have such pretty iridescent teal and purple colors.. From what I have gathered they are supposed to be egg laying machines... a hybrid that is distinguishable at hatching by color. good luck!

Chick fever takes yet another unsuspecting victim... [​IMG]

Connie

3. Curlita

Curlita Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I think it's just to make them easier to sex. I have a black sex-link. She isn't laying yet -- any day now. But given the breeds they mix to make the sex link, I would think they should lay well.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

No matter purebred or hybrid, cant do better than an egg almost every day of her life. That's what my RIRs and Barred Rocks do. The autosexing is the main thing about the sexlinks. Yes they lay well, but not better than your average Rhode Island Red. Depends if it matters to someone that they have a purebred bird or not, really. And if you have a RIR roo and a BR hen, you can make your very own black sexlinks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by