Red Sex Links Not Laying Yet.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 4Chicks2, Aug 5, 2013.

1. 4Chicks2

4Chicks2 Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl
    I have 4 RSL that are 21 weeks old and are not laying yet. I read that they should start laying at 16 weeks. Should I be worried? One of them has had a bright red pronounced comb and wattles for a couple weeks now, but I have still not found an egg. The other 3 are just now starting to get birght red and larger. Any thoughts? Thanks.

2. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    mine started at 16 weeks. 2 of my RSL's haven't started laying yet, they are 18 weeks. every chicken is different. If they are getting red combs it shouldn't be long. Are they free ranged?

3. Scoopers804

Scoopers804 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 3 red sex links that are between 18/19 weeks of age.. one has a really red comb and wattles.. the other two are just starting to turn red... none are laying yet... I read somewhere, where some lay young.. but that it is common to not lay even up to 24 or so weeks... I guess Mother Nature just isn't ready to give us fresh eggs for breakfast yet! Good luck! =)

4. 4Chicks2

May 3, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl
    Kad- Yes, they are free range. We usually let them out at 9:30-10 am. They put themselves to bed.

Scooper - We are ready for the eggs! My 6 yr old daughter can hardly stand it!

5. kada6305

kada6305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2013
    Kersey, Pennsylvania
    Thats what we do, Ours get out at 10AM once our duck lays her egg. They are hused together. Are you sure they aren't laying somewhere else? only 2 chickens lays in the coop. One leghorn waits until everyone is out of the coop and lays in her nest and screams at anybody who comes in until after she is done. another leghorn and a red sex link lay in an unused rabbit hutch right after I let themout of coop, doesnt matter how long I wait -_-

6. 4Chicks2

May 3, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl
    Lol. Of course they would. I haven't seen any eggs around the yard. I do have one place I need to check when I get home that I just thought of, under an enclosed trailer that they like to hang out under.

7. locoguru

locoguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2013
    I have 4 RSL that will be 22 weeks wed. 1 started laying 10 days ago, 2 started laying 6 days ago. The 4 is still not laying.

8. 4Chicks2

May 3, 2013
    Lakeland, Fl
    Thanks. There is still hope then. : ) On a side note our little frizzle bantam found his cock-a-doodle-do last night. We weren't sure if it was a roo but that proved it.

9. sanmar4chickens

sanmar4chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Texas

Hope you are still following your thread. How are your chickens doing? Did they finally lay at how old? Mine are 20 weeks ...nothing yet. :he

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by