red sex links or what? here are the pics, was i duped?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by prov31gal, Apr 29, 2009.

1. prov31gal

prov31gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    so i got 15 red sex link pullets from tractor supply, a buck a peice because they were a week old and they were getting new ones.
    the 4 brooders a bout 2 weeks before held assorted bantams, ducks, rhode island reds, and cornish cross peeps.
    so in the unmarked brooder are red peeps all mashed together and i ask what they are, a girl tells me she doesnt know, i ask if they are red sex links but she doesnt think so, i ask a man and he says these are red sex links, i asked if he was sure and he said he was.
    i just grabbed 15 out of the tub and really on selected based on the least sick and pastey butted ones.
    days go by and im looking more closely, some have red stripes, some dont , some are brownish orange some are dark some are yellow, with orange backs and they are not uniform thats for sure, afraid i have some assorted reds here, and i m scared they are all male! can anyone give me any tips advice on what they are? suggestions, could they be assorted types of red sex linls, red stars? cinnamon queen?

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Can you post pictures?

3. fernandez0067

fernandez0067 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Schenectady
    idk but i have rsl and cinammon queens and they are the best layers!!!! and sweet as pie

4. c'mon eggs

c'mon eggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    We bought our 10 chicks from TSC last month from the assorted pullet bin. Most of them had stripes down their backs, which I believe they are red sex links (from Privett Hatchery). Only 3 looked different with very faint stripes. I'm hoping they're all girls too. [​IMG]

5. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    I have 2 golden sexlinks and one had the stripes and one didn't. but I think the males are white so you really couldn't Have gotten them mixed up. At least that was what I was led to believe, Both of mine turned out to be girls.

6. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    They sound like the Golden Comets we got from TSC here. If they are, the yellow ones are the males and the chipmonk ones are females. Good luck

7. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    ok, im going to post pics this evening, i have no idea how to get pics off the camera and on to the computer, but my hubby does! now im really scared because only about 7 of them are chipmonk looking. the rest are yellow with orange backs or patches, uuuggghh. but i still have hope! im also getting a shipment of 15 buff orpington pullets from cackle hatchery sometime next week, lets just hope i end up with a whole lot of ladies and just a couple guys.

8. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    I think you're fine and that they are RSL. If you go look at feathersite.com you can see pics of red sex links pullets and roos - and the roos are REALLY white. We've got 15 RSL, too, and one was yellow with no red, the rest were either yellow with a red tint or solid red or had the stripe down their back. I was curious about the bright yellow one, but turns out that she's just a lighter colored RSL pullet. The rest are now dark red with various black markings and she's more of an orange. [​IMG]

9. prov31gal

Apr 29, 2009
    over the mountain
    So, what do you think?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. BirdBrain

BirdBrain Prefers Frozen Tail Feathers

May 7, 2007
    Alaska
    I think they are pretty birds, that someone will come along who really knows what they are and that they need a bigger brooder.

[​IMG]

Well, you asked...... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by