Red sex links/RedStars crossed with leghorn or...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by DixieChickie, May 12, 2011.

1. DixieChickie

DixieChickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    I have 5 RSL hens, I have an EE cockerel and it looks like 2 cockerel White LEghorns (out of 3 I was given injured) I'm trying to decide if I want to keep the EE or a White Leghorn cockerel. Soooo does anyone have any chickens that are RSLs to WLeghorns or RSLs to EEs?

Also if I kept the EE, does that mean the chicks would be able to be sexed at hatching by leg color? And does it mean there's a good chance at olive eggs from the chicks?

I really just wanna be able to put the roo in with the ladies a few times and hatch out a few to increase my laying pen.

Or can I just keep 2 roos and let them free range and put them with the ladies when I want some eggs to hatch? Or will they fight?

2. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    Here's my EE, just cause I think he's perty, we named him Speckles...he's losing feathers and getting some blackish feathers on his tail and "mane area" taht have a teal blue irridescence to them
    [​IMG]

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Depends on what your goal is. If it's simply egg production, gotta go with the leghorn roo. If you like the green eggs and want to try to pass them on, or if you want birds with more heft to eat the cockerals, go with the easter egger. I'd also eval the roos based on temperment and how good they are with the ladies. I won't keep a mean roo or one who overbreeds or fixates on a specific hen. I want gentlemen who call the girls for treats and drop a wing to court, not just grab the neck and jump on.

Neither of your crosses will be able to be sexed by color, either leg or feather.
    They should make some nice, colorful egg layers!
    eta--why don't you want the roo in with the girls full time? and if you want to just put him in to fertilize, you need an incubator, you won't know when a hen will be wanting to brood.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  4. DixieChickie

Mar 24, 2011
    VA
    A Southern gentleman is a must LOL

I asked about the roos outside free roaming, that way I could maybe keep both.

I had read that if you bred a darf footed roo to a light footed hen, the chicks would come out as dark legs pullet and light legs roo. That's why I asked about sexing via leg color, I knew I wouldn't be able to sex by chick body down color.

The leghorns are still quite young, Speckles is 11 or 12 weeks of age...he's been out loose in the yard with my EE pullet (who I got when I got him, she's not in the RSL coop yet) and the RSLs. He pretty much just hangs out with Chloe, the EE pullet, and ignores the RSLs. But again he's only 12 weeks. My leghorns are 5 weeks old. *sigh* decisions decisions LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by