Red Sex links ??? (white leghorn hen & RIR roo)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by 3beagle78, Jun 28, 2008.

1. 3beagle78

3beagle78 New Egg

Jun 27, 2008
    I was wondering would I get red sex links by breeding my white leghorns (hens) to a Rhode Island Red (Roo). I'm not for sure if it will work. I've searched and found two different answers some say that it will and some say no. Has anyone out there tried this combination to see if it works.

Thanks for any info

2. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    The Red Sex Link Hybrid is the result of crossing the pure Rhode Island Red rooster with a Delaware hen. The results are a color sexed chick and chick offspring of vigor and health. The cockerels are shades of light colors and the pullets are shades of reds. Excellent brown egg layers for the family to enjoy.

3. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    The hen needs to have a silver gene present in order to produce sexlink chicks with a red rooster, some white birds do have that gene and some don't and its hard to tell the difference. White birds that tend to get a yellow tinge to their feathers due to amount of sun etc generally are said not to carry the silver gene, birds that have a nice clean white sheen too their feathers and not a hint of yellow anywhere carry the silver.

Hope this helps, thats probably the reason why some say yes and some say no to your question, it all depends on if the leghorn hen carries a silver gene or not.

Anna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by