Red Sex-links!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Chick1043, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I don't see a thread for Red Sex-links!! So (unless there already is one) I'm posting one :)

My 16 week old Red Sex-link, Kevin :) Looove him!

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    There is a sexlink thread somewhere, the original one got closed and a new one was made.

However your roo is not a Red Sexlink, Red sexlink males are white, and the hens are the color of your roo, that's the Sexlink part. Your roo the color of the roos you would get when breeding a RSL hen to a RIR roo.

3. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    are you saying 'he' might be a 'she'? [​IMG] the dad was his color and the mom was white :)

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
  5. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
  6. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    Quote:No, it is a roo, I'm just saying he's not a sexlink because he's not white. Are you sure the mother was white ? Neither dominant white, recessive white, nor silver should be able to produce a red male offspring when mated with a red male. Could a red hen have possibly been the mother ?

7. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    Quote:No, it is a roo, I'm just saying he's not a sexlink because he's not white. Are you sure the mother was white ? Neither dominant white, recessive white, nor silver should be able to produce a red male offspring when mated with a red male. Could a red hen have possibly been the mother ?

No the mom was white and the dad was red :)

8. RAREROO

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga

Do you know what breed or mix she was ?

9. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri

The female must have been recessive white and dominant white with a hypostatic red genotype to get the bird. The female also carried a melanizer of some kind- he has white in his neck hackles.

Tim

10. Chick1043

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    I don't know lol The breeder I got him from showed me the parents and said they were red sexlinks :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by