Red Sexed Link Oppinions...

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by mkhenderson17, Feb 6, 2012.

1. mkhenderson17

mkhenderson17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Hello everyone! Ok so Red sexed linked, golden Comte's, red stars, ect... The names go on and on. Basically they are a cross between a Red colored Rooster and a white colored hen.
    So I have found RIR and New Hampshire roos are the most common. For the hens White Rock, RI White, or Delaware.

Now don't get me wrong, I know there are other cross's out there. My question is What breed of Rooster and what Hen are the best to use to make the best Red Sexed link?

Thanks!

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    RIR x Delaware

Tim

3. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Thats what I was thinking, I have a RIR roo and a few Delawares and I was going to set them sometime this week :)

4. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    I'll go a little further into it other than just the breed types and depending on what youre wanting them for; just easy sexing at hatch or full on egg production. To get the best egg production you'd want to use production type parents as the breed-stock. This would be almost a sure-enough guarantee of getting a top producing sex-link. Albeit crossing any of the above mentioned red roosters over the silver based hens you'll get sex-links with somewhat of an increase in egg production through heterosis (hybrid vigor). Just thought I'd throw that in there because the ones (sex-links) that the egglaying industry uses and most of the ones the hatcheries sell /make are not bred from your run of the mill breeds of chickens. [​IMG]

Jeff

5. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Make your own. I also would prefer the RIR over Delaware for laying prowess, but might use a NH over a Delaware for larger carcass?

Many of the commercial RSLs are actually 4 way crosses to get the result they desire, which is egg laying extraordinaire, of course.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  6. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    Ok, so I have 6 Red Sex Links, I'm guessing there is no way to tell wich breed Rooster and/or Hen was used right?

7. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not likely at all, if you got them from a hatchery. They don't give up their formula, if they breed their own. If you got them from a local breeder, they'd probably tell you what they used. Feed stores wouldn't likely know either. Sex links "value" comes from their color sexing at hatch and generally are produced to be great layers. They are, after-all, just mutts, created for a special purpose.

8. GSDBESTK9

GSDBESTK9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2012
    Maryland
    Yeah that's what I figured!! :D Thanks!!

9. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    Unfortunately there is not b they are so similar you just can't pick out witch one is crossed with witch

10. mkhenderson17

Sep 8, 2010
    What were they called at the hatchery that u gotthem from? Te Differen names can suggest different combinations. Also what hatchery did u get them from?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by