Red sexed link roo??

roo c

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 30, 2013
I'm VERY NEW with chickens but with all my research I thought the roos were mostly white? At 6 weeks here it looks to be a proud roo to me. I'll try to get a better pic later but the comb it really tall and really red.

Sex linked roos are primarily white. Your guy could be a production red or some other red breed maybe? He does definitely look like a cockerel with his big comb/wattles and thick legs.

Did you get the bird, as a chick, from a hatchery or TSC type store?

A cockerel can be colored like that if people breed sex link to sex link. The coloration by sex is a one time thing. In subsequent generations, all bets are off. They are no longer sex links.

A Red Sex Link male is white with a bit of color on the back or wings, but not a very much. The females are mostly red with some white feathers.

Last edited:
Did you get the bird, as a chick, from a hatchery or TSC type store?

A cockerel can be colored like that if people breed sex link to sex link. The coloration by sex is a one time thing. In subsequent generations, all bets are off. They are no longer sex links.

A Red Sex Link male is white with a bit of color on the back or wings, but not a very much. The females are mostly red with some white feathers.

Very good info for you right there!
goodpost.gif

I bought them from a farmer that raises just red and black sex links. Here's a pic of him at 1 week old. He's the yellow one on the bottom but there's another that was same color as him on the top left. They just feathered out like all the rest though.

Yup. Chances are your birds are F2 or F3 birds, made from breeding red sexlink stock into further generations. If so, this means that they are no longer sex links. Great birds, none the less, but not sexable by coloration.

However, most birds can be sexed easily at 6-8 weeks. The cockerels will sprout red combs and red wattles. The pullets don't show any comb or wattle until much, much later, often as late as 15 weeks.

Cockerels are also larger, stand taller and have thick legs and knot kneed kind of walk that the pullets don't have.
Hope that helps.

with my black sex links i hatched out from my eggs breeding two standard breds to make the black sex link ... they were all black with some white on their wings but i have one cockerel that cane out it was black like the others but had a white spot on its head so this was a very good hatch i have 4 females and 1 cockerel that came out

Hey all, this thread is very interesting to me. Below are my 2 chicks that I am trying to sex. They are a cross between a California White (picture included) crossed with a Red Sex Link... I think...! These chicks are 5 weeks old... what do you think? As you can see, the comb on the first chick is a bit more red and a bit larger than the second. What do you all think?

Here's the rooster father,

chick 1

chick 2

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom