Red Sexlink offspring

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by emsevers, Jan 25, 2009.

1. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    I was wondering if anyone has ever hatched eggs from their red sex links and how they turned out. I didn't realize before I tried to hatch some that they may not turn out sex link in the next generation.

I asked in a post at the end of last year if the baby I had was a pullet or not and everyone thought it was a pullet, but now I'm not sure. She's starting to get black feathers along with red feathers and I think that they usually don't get black feathers.

So basically I was wondering if anyone has hatched eggs from their sex links and if the next generation turned out sex link or not. And if they didn't how close to the sex link colors did they stay if at all?

Thanks everyone

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Rufflemyfeathers

Rufflemyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2008
    Astatula Florida

Gees we are thinking along the same line here in the incubation I posted a same question about what the chicks are from the father is white in the Red Sex Link and the hen is browish red of the red sex link and I was just wondering that this morning what I would get and what they are called..

Good questiong we have here.. hope we get the answers we are looking for.. [​IMG]

Quote:

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    I did hatch sex links a quite a few years ago, but I sold them before I saw what the end result ended up being. Back then I didn't now they wouldn't breed true...so I sold them as sexlinks:>) Oooops!

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    No,they will NOT be sex linked they will just be crossbred,(mutts)tghey will most likely look like a RIR cross,when they mature they will be kind of orange,the F1 cross was a RIR roo with a RIW hen,the hen passes her colors to the roo chicks and the roo to the pullet chicks

5. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    RufflemyFeathers...LOVE your avitar!

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Skeeter is correct. Second generation is not sexlinked.

7. emsevers

emsevers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Carlton, OR
    So where did my chick get black feathers. If they are coming from RIR and RIW, do they have black feathers?

I've never raised chicks to keep so I was also wondering how old it will be before I can sex it. I live in the city so if it is a Roo I need to find out before the crowing starts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by