Red Sexlink, Production Red, Rhode Island or, New Hampshire

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by IWZRUNN, Sep 21, 2016.

1. IWZRUNN

IWZRUNN New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Got these as 5 month old red sexlink pullets. The guy we bought them from said he got them as chicks from Southern States. There is not a white feather on any of the 18 I got. Trying to figure out what breed of red chicken they could be. ..... any thoughts?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    To me she looks like a Rhode island red.

3. DuckGirl77

DuckGirl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2016
    [​IMG] I agree, looks like an RIR. Very pretty!

4. IWZRUNN

IWZRUNN New Egg

Aug 18, 2016
    [​IMG]

Here is another picture of them. Does anyone know the differences between production reds, Rhode Island reds and New Hampshires?

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Rhode Island Red, there are difference among them - primarily the red sexlink are not a breed, RIR and New Hampshires are. However, the hatcheries often lump them together and buyers usually are unaware.

6. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    RIR are a darker red color than New Hampshire who are more of a dark orange. I believe production reds are just RIR that are bred for production and not type, I've only seen the term used on this site though.

7. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    They are most likely Production Reds. Rhode Island Reds would be darker red and much darker yellow legs.

8. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    Production Red

9. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    So, RIR and New hampshires are breeds, as others have noted. You can tell the difference among them as people have suggested above.

"Production red" is not clearly defined. Some hatcheries sell them as a hybrid between a RIR and NH, so that you get the high egg laying of a hybrid (similar to a red sex link). Cackle does this. But people use the term to refer to any generic hatchery-bred red chicken, which could have started from a RIR or NH.

In reality from hatchery-bred birds there is very little real difference between any of these, they are pretty red chickens that are very good layers. :)

10. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    They are production reds, i also raise them, they are wonderful dual purpose breed for both meat and eggs. The production reds i have look just like yours and they are a cross of a rhode island red and a new hampshire red. They do not go broody so you will have to incubate your eggs, but they are very nice birds, very hardy and will guarantee to lay you 1 large brown egg everyday even through winter! Red sex links are a lighter creamier colored orange than the dark reddish orange that a productions have. Productions usually have black tips on thier tail and wing feathers and red sexlinks dont. Hth
    Heres a few pics of mine
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by