1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Sexlinks not laying????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by quenston, Apr 30, 2009.

1. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    About 3 weeks ago I bought 5 red sexlinks that are approximatley 8 to 9 months old, the man that sold them to me at the swap meet told me that they were laying and laying good and there were even a couple of eggs in the cage that they were in. I feed hen scratch along with egg pellets and give them different treats along the way. But they have not laid one egg sense bringing them home! Am I doing something wrong or do I need to do something different????

2. The Chicken Man

The Chicken Man Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Have you fed your hens fruit? Fruit can freeze their laying for up to 6 weeks, I've read.

"If you feed fruit to any laying hens , they will stop laying and take as much as 4 - 6 weeks to start laying again. I know this from expierience and also from reading a booklet from the N.C. Dept. of agriculture . I hope this will steer anyone from feeding fruit to their layers" - See link below for full article:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Ask-Our-Experts/Sustainable-Farming/Feeding-Livestock-Fruit-Pulp.aspx

Hope this helps! Good luck on your hens.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  3. quenston

quenston Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Wyandotte Ok
    [​IMG] Well that was a quick solution!!!! I fed them some apples here about a week ago, well I know not to make that kinda mistake again! Thank Ya Chicken Man

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by