Red-shouldered Hawk Action Around Poultry Area

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
This year timing as right to see Red-shouldered Hawks that frequent the areas I keep chickens where the hawks (note plural) were doing some interesting things. At least one works area from nine to eleven AM most days where it perches in trees hunting small rodents on ground. Later around noon the hawks will sun themselves on ground sometimes within 20 of chickens. Chickens seem to have no issues with these guys.

Yesterday one as in stand of Perssimmon trees apparently in company of a game hen foraging on ground below. A Red-tailed Hawk flew in from SE causing Red-shouldered to beat hasty retreat to denser tree grove behind barn while game hen went under Multiflora Rose. All chickens and Red-shouldered Hawk gave alarm calls.

This morning around 9:30 to Red-shouldered Hawks together in dense tree grove behind barn where engaged in a territorial dispute with a similar pair about 300 yards to the west in a tree. Then local birds raced to E to engage another pair in the air. It is almost as if the local hawks are looking to nest very close to barn.

This year timing as right to see Red-shouldered Hawks that frequent the areas I keep chickens where the hawks (note plural) were doing some interesting things. At least one works area from nine to eleven AM most days where it perches in trees hunting small rodents on ground. Later around noon the hawks will sun themselves on ground sometimes within 20 of chickens. Chickens seem to have no issues with these guys.

Yesterday one as in stand of Perssimmon trees apparently in company of a game hen foraging on ground below. A Red-tailed Hawk flew in from SE causing Red-shouldered to beat hasty retreat to denser tree grove behind barn while game hen went under Multiflora Rose. All chickens and Red-shouldered Hawk gave alarm calls.

This morning around 9:30 to Red-shouldered Hawks together in dense tree grove behind barn where engaged in a territorial dispute with a similar pair about 300 yards to the west in a tree. Then local birds raced to E to engage another pair in the air. It is almost as if the local hawks are looking to nest very close to barn.

I don't have red shouldered hawks here, but red tails and a couple of infrequent Bald Eagles. You are lucky to see them doing their territorial disputes. As long as they leave your chickens alone! Do you have any pix??

I don't have red shouldered hawks here, but red tails and a couple of infrequent Bald Eagles. You are lucky to see them doing their territorial disputes. As long as they leave your chickens alone!  Do you have any pix??

No pix. They have been doing similar every year so easy to see when I have time to watch. May try to get pix but having to watch kids making such hard to do. They have never messed with my chickens here or when in Indiana.

They should be present in your area. Not there yet but will be near water starting in March / April.

They are causing no problems at all. They may even be interacting with chickens like they are know to interact with crows. The Coopers will not hunt in presence of Red-shouldered Hawk and Red-tailed Hawk will be harassed by Red-shouldered when former comes in. Only Coopers have been a trouble and losses to them very light (all losses documented). For a while Coopers virtually lived here going after songbirds but now that Red-shouldered here no Coopers at all. I have 30 free-range juveniles out now.

It is interesting how they have such a hierarchy among themselves and claim territory. I used to have a pair of Northern Harriers that lived in this territory, never bothered my chickens but did go after the wild bird feeder birds. Then a pair of Red-tails moved in and ran the Northern Harriers right out of here. I saw some brutal chases and aerial dives that may have done damage to the Harrier male. Not too long after I saw them up the road aways and had found new territory.

Back
Top Bottom