1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Shouldered Yoko in Chicken Calc??

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by farmerChef, Mar 31, 2012.

1. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    I have a RH Yoko hen, and I was wondering how I would put her in the chicken calculator??

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    I think red shouldered yokohama are genetically diverse. There are a number of ways one could get the variety.

I have not read any research on the subject. This is my best guess from my work with the genes in the answer.

wild type, mahogany, autosomal red, silver, spangling ( Db-Pg-Ml), dominant white. Spangling will appear on a males breast even if he is not homozygous for Db-Pg-Ml.

Please note I changed my original answer. I should have thought on the answer.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  3. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Should I also add a mottled gene?

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    from what I´ve read from Brian Reeder and the pics of F1 in the net, I believe they lack dominant white and also carry Di(dominant Dilute) and some are also based on s+/s+

here is a nice reading by Brian Reeder
    http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/CGP/Phoen/ReederRedShGenetics.html

5. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    No recessive mottling gene has ever been found on RSY, the white spot you see are just white colored spangling..

Edit.

Hey I am an BYC Educator now....!![​IMG]

6. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Marvin,

What is making the spangle white? The only gene that I know of that can change a black spangle to white is dominant white. I am not sure about the dominant dilute gene (Di). I have produced the same effect with dark brown on wheaten.

Congratulations on the Educator.

Tim

7. nicalandia

Jul 16, 2009
    Splash(Bl/Bl) which can be breed to look like dominant white.. all the info I have is from the readings on Reeder and at the classroom at the coop

here some more reading
    http://www.the-coop.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=36250&page=1

http://longtail-fowl.com/blue_red_yokos.html

8. tadkerson

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Splash will not give you the nice clean tails that you will find in the birds. Heterozygous dominant white males will have some black in the tail. Splash would also show up with splashes in the red or white in the bird. I do not think it is splash.

If I had the room I would do some experimental crosses and determine the genetic make up of the RSY. I could probably get a manuscript published from the results.

I have read the article by Reeder. His writing style is difficult to understand. I have read many research manuscripts and no one writes like he does. Many of the research manuscripts are about very complicated subjects and I can make more sense of those manuscripts than what Reeder is attempting to convey.

Papers that deal with segregation of genes should be easy to comprehend and include data to support a hypothesis. None of which are found in his article. His article should also include references from work carried out by other. It is one thing to put an article on the net and it is another to have a peer reviwed manuscript published.

Tim

Last edited: Apr 4, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by