Red skin and feather loss

WitchyWomen

Chirping
Jul 28, 2020
Hi there. So I have a hen that has been losing or plucking feathers and has very red skin in those areas. It’s happening on her back, chest, thighs and head. I’ll give you as much information as I can think to give. She is 2 years old. I have a very large (8’ x 12’) nice coop with 12 hens. She is not broody! Her eating and activity are totally normal. I sit with my girls every night and she is not being picked on…if anything, she can be a little bit of a bully. I do not have a rooster. I have looked her over many times and do not see any bugs. I’ve treated her with ivermectin but it hasn’t helped. None of my other girls have any issues. I’m attaching pictures. She did just take a little bath in the dirt so the black spots I saw seemed to be just dirt. Let me know what you think and thank you!

Attachments

• 03A2CBE5-3EB3-4358-A96B-E46467436CDF.jpeg
    03A2CBE5-3EB3-4358-A96B-E46467436CDF.jpeg
    647.4 KB · Views: 71
  • 36282538-9DA2-4C37-99D6-55B6DAC36FEE.jpeg
    36282538-9DA2-4C37-99D6-55B6DAC36FEE.jpeg
    300.3 KB · Views: 21
  • B7FACE6B-91AD-4CAE-8480-439893828EB4.jpeg
    B7FACE6B-91AD-4CAE-8480-439893828EB4.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 24
Did you used to have a rooster?

Observe your hens to see who is mounting her.

Often plucking id done during roosting, so take a bit of time to see what's happening during roosting too.

My Australorp is having similar issues with a very long molt and the top of her where she is missing feathers is red! I thought from exposure to the sun .. but now I wonder. I keep her away from the roosters ; biy that's not it. No parasites. Just burned skin it seems(sure Vegas rather is rough, but this is just too extreme)

Did you used to have a rooster?

Observe your hens to see who is mounting her.

Often plucking id done during roosting, so take a bit of time to see what's happening during roosting too.
I had a rooster before I got her as a baby. Her feather loss is on her belly and inside her thighs too. I’ll definitely spend some time watching them during roosting. Thank you for the advice!!!!!

Hi there. So I have a hen that has been losing or plucking feathers and has very red skin in those areas. It’s happening on her back, chest, thighs and head. I’ll give you as much information as I can think to give. She is 2 years old. I have a very large (8’ x 12’) nice coop with 12 hens. She is not broody! Her eating and activity are totally normal. I sit with my girls every night and she is not being picked on…if anything, she can be a little bit of a bully. I do not have a rooster. I have looked her over many times and do not see any bugs. I’ve treated her with ivermectin but it hasn’t helped. None of my other girls have any issues. I’m attaching pictures. She did just take a little bath in the dirt so the black spots I saw seemed to be just dirt. Let me know what you think and thank you!
I have the same issue. Definitely not rooster caused. I wish someone had answers.

Back
Top Bottom