1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red skin and losing feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katplitt, Aug 31, 2009.

1. katplitt

katplitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2009
    I have 4 barred rocks who are just wonderful. One of them is a little lighter in color than the others. She has some bare patches on her breast that show very red skin. Also on her bottom below her vent is become bare and red. I don't notice anyone picking on her and her coop is covered so I don't think the sun is bothering her. She has been this way for a couple of weeks at least and it the bare patches seem to getting bigger. All 4 of the hens are about 18 months old and are finishing their first year laying. She is normal in every other way. Anyone have any ideas?

2. wlrcad

wlrcad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    New Hampshire
    are the other hens pecking her? she is probaly being pecked by the leader of the pecking order!

3. katplitt

Feb 14, 2009
    we always thought she was the top dog. [​IMG]

4. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Mites/lice. Bathe in dog flea/tick shampoo, clean all bedding and thoroughly spray and dust coop & pen. Spray or dust all other birds.

5. katplitt

Feb 14, 2009
    thanks, i'll do that. Why would she be the only one?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by