Red/sore behind - no feathers

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by marsgenegenie, Dec 5, 2010.

1. marsgenegenie

marsgenegenie New Egg

Nov 4, 2009
    One of my girls (Daphne) lost a lot of feathers from her rear a few motnhs ago. I posted a 'help' and was told not to panic as they often do this and they will grow back. This hasn't happened and her rear is getting very red and today I noticed a couple of very red (I don't know what to call them!) postules/thin/tall zits in the same place. Any ideas guys? She is also doing some strange things - we thought they had both stopped laying but last night we found her (Daphne) sitting in long grass on a clutch of eggs - 6 of them (we don't have a boy!) Connection? I am still learning about looking after these dear creatures and I have no one else to ask. Thanks:/

2. silkieroo

silkieroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Durham NH
    Could you post a picture?

3. chkn

chkn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Someone had a similar situation - a kidney infection - avian vet prescribed antibiotics.

4. marsgenegenie

marsgenegenie New Egg

Nov 4, 2009
    Will endeavour to take a photo and post it ASAP. Thanks:D

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Not strange to be sitting on a clutch. They will try to hatch golf balls or air. Going broody is hormonal, nothing to do with males or even having eggs.

Sometimes feathers will not grow back til the next molt; not sure of the details on this.

I'd be washing that butt and smearing Neosporin around, anyway. Could be she also needs systemic antibiotics, I don't know. Could even be you need to pull some feather remnants. Hope someone smarter than me comes along.

6. marsgenegenie

marsgenegenie New Egg

Nov 4, 2009
    Have uploaded 4 pics but don't know how you would find them? Don't find this an easy site I'm afraid but I am still learning - on all fronts! Help (again!) [​IMG]

7. Raven81

Raven81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 3, 2010
    Te Anau NZ
  8. marsgenegenie

marsgenegenie New Egg

Nov 4, 2009
    Here are the pics:-

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All done (I hope!!)

Also......she has done something else weird:- layed an egg on a wicker chair on our veranda! What is with this girl?!

9. taradrew

taradrew New Egg

Jan 11, 2012
    Vermont
    My chickens have a diaper rash butt too! Flaming red! Not sure what's going on with them!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by