Red spot in yolk, sans rooster?? Huh

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Lil, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Okay you guys are the experts, but I thought if an egg yolk had a red blood clump in it that it means it is fertilized? If so something is up in my hen house. [​IMG]

I have 8 hens all of whom are actively laying, definetly no roosters anywhere around, as I am the only one in the neighborhood with chickens, plus they are in an enclosed yard.

I opened several eggs for a quiche last night and two of my Wyndotte eggs had this blood clot in the yolk. Boy am I confused. Is this normal?

Lil

2. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

A red blood spot in the egg usually happens with the hens just started laying, and there egg making system is working out the kinks.

3. warmfuzzies

warmfuzzies Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Boondocks, Colorado
    I always thought that too, then I read it is a white spot, and its really hard to tell if its fertile or not, and the white spot is always there. Am I right guys?? [​IMG]

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2009
  5. Chicken Lil

Chicken Lil Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2008
    Oh boy now I'm really confused as the two eggs with the red spot also had a white lump in them, like a little bulls eye. I did not think anything about that, but you folks say that means they are fertilized. Gadzooks!

6. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yep... red spots don't mean anything about fertility. All eggs have the white disk, but when it looks like a bullseye, then it's fertile. Of course, you can eat fertile eggs just the same as non-fertile eggs... no difference. [​IMG]

7. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You have to look for the sperm disc that's inside the white disc.

8. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Thank You so much for this info I have always been taught the blood spot ment fertile. Do you see this white disc when you candle??? or do you just put the eggs in bator and pray they are fertilized. Im going to try to hatch my very 1st batch & now im confussed [​IMG]

9. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:The only way to tell a fertile egg is to crack a few in a dish or bowl and look for the Blastoderm disc as shown in the post I gave in this thread or to start incubation with them and candle on day 7 to see veining and the embryo.

10. cackleberries

cackleberries Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2008
    Arkansas
    Quote:The only way to tell a fertile egg is to crack a few in a dish or bowl and look for the Blastoderm disc as shown in the post I gave in this thread or to start incubation with them and candle on day 7 to see veining and the embryo.

Thank You I will try the candle on day 7 since i only have 12 eggs to work with

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by