Red Spot on Belly

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Dallas Chicken, Mar 14, 2015.

1. Dallas Chicken

Dallas Chicken New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
  2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Welcome to BYC. Where is the red spot located? If it is near the keel or breast bone, the it could be a breast blister from lying on her breast on moist bedding such as straw or hay. These can turn into abscesses from a staph infection after time. If that isn't what you are seeing, then I would double check her for signs of lice eggs or mite dirt. Feather picking would be a third possibility.

3. Dallas Chicken

Dallas Chicken New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    It's toward her rear, just above her poop shoot about 3". No mites, no eggs, have washed it clean more than once and it's still there. I'm very fastidious about their area and coop/ laying area. No feather picking signs from her or others and she's not low on the totem pole for the flock either. Baffling.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Is it near her preening or oil gland? Maybe it is a cyst or tumor.

5. Dallas Chicken

Dallas Chicken New Egg

Mar 14, 2015
    That's what I'm afraid of. It doesn't get bigger, causes her no pain or discomfort but certainly isn't right. It's not hard, tender to her or heat radiation. She's as sweet as she's always been and still laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by