red spots in eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Bryntee, Jan 25, 2014.

1. Bryntee

Bryntee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi! My black sex-link has been laying eggs since around I think Septemberand I don't think at first she had red spots in her eggs but now lately for the last couple months she has been laying eggs with red spots in them. Is there anything I can do to help change that? Or any info on this subject would be awesome! Thanks!

2. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    Completely normal. Sometimes called meat spots and sometimes called blood spots. It means her reproductive system is working correctly. The reason you don't see it in store bought eggs is because they candle them and throw them out so people won't freak out.

3. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Oh okay. Well her eggs have them but my other two chickens don't. The other two are Americanas. So I was just a little curious why hers had them and the other two didn't. :)

4. foreverlearning

foreverlearning Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2013
    The others will get them at some point. It happens for a while every so often. For mine it seems to be within a month before or after a molt and one that does it to me every January.

5. Bryntee

Jun 27, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Oh good to know!!! Thanks so much :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by