Red Spots In The Egg?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ragerkid2, Apr 30, 2011.

1. ragerkid2

ragerkid2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2011
    Johnstown Pa
    I herd somewhere that if you have a flock of chickens your eggs will have spots of blood in them, I do not have any rooster just light barhamas and red sex links hens... Why do this happen? Is it only if you have a rooster mating with the hens? Im a First Time Chicken owner so im not sure...
    Thanks For Your Help
    -Brandon

2. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Nope, has nothing to do with having roosters. It's from a broken capillary somewhere in the hen's reproductive tract. [​IMG] I have roosters with all of my girls, and I rarely ever see blood spots. BUT I have seen it in commercial eggs, which rarely ever have roosters in with them.

3. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    They call it a meat or blood spot. It's not something you can control or something that happens in every egg! It also has nothing to do with whether you have a roo or not!!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  4. Just My Cluck

Just My Cluck New Egg

Apr 10, 2011
    It is called a "blood egg" when commercial egg candlers see a blood egg it is considered a cull. You simply throw it away. There is nothing wrong with your hens.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. Cloverleaf Farm

Cloverleaf Farm Bearded Birds are Best

Sep 16, 2008
    Levan, UT
    Quote:BUT there is nothing wrong with eating them, if you're ok with it. [​IMG]

7. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    somewhere here, someone posted pictures of what to look for if the egg was fertilized. unfortunately it is not a good technique to use if you are looking for fertile eggs to hatch, because, if you can see it, good look putting the egg back in the shell.

if you look at the yolk carefully, there will be a small dull white spot, somewhat transparent. if unfertilized, the spot is just a spot. however, fertilized, and the center becomes translucent and the spot looks like a donut.

the blood spot (as stated already) has nothing to do with being fertilized or not

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  8. aggie9296

aggie9296 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2011
    Panama City, FL
    They seem to be more common in my younger hens than my older hens. Nothing wrong with the hens or eggs. I eat them. I warn anyone else that gets my eggs to toss them if they prefer "spotless" eggs.

9. MetalSmitten

MetalSmitten Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2010
    bloomington, indiana
    what they said. ^^

i eat them too. i figure it's no different than eating cooked hamburger - meat is all sorts of bloody before it's cooked. i just cook the egg. don't even taste it. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by