Red spots on dog??? Ring worm?

bobwhitelover

Songster
8 Years
Apr 18, 2011
SOmerset
Hi,
My sweet border collie mickey has some red spots on his legs and under his legs around his limbs. They don't hurt him but he does bite at them every so often. I can't post pics cause my camara broke ): Please help me identify what this is!:)

87360_july_31_2009_jordan_004.jpg

87360_july_31_2009_jordan_009.jpg

Last edited:
Might be just itchy spots, best bet is to ask the vet. Is he on a flea and tick prevention plan?

BTW, I seriously doubt it's ringworm, given the locations.
smile.png

Last edited:
typically, ringworm is round and scaly. But red, itchy spots can be many things from ringworm, hot spots, to allergies. It can even be a flea infestation. Without photos or sing the dog in person, it really is hard to tell. I agree with asking your vet about it.

Ringworm has a definitive "look" to it, do a google search for images. It sounds more like hot spots to me given locations. Best thing for that is the vet, but after going to the vet for it twice I just save the money and treat myself. Firstly, your dog must be on a flea prevention plan like Revolution, Frontline Plus etc. Second, make your dog more comfortable by helping to soothe the area. I would give an oatmeal bath to my pup, or just an oatmeal poultice on the affected area. I also cut the hair around the area to help prevent moisture build up and to let it get more air. The first day I put triple antibiotic ointment or bag balm on it. The next day I just treat it a few times a day with OTC hydrocortisone cream. I would do it when the dog is sleeping or give her a bone to chew on for a few hours to help keep them from licking the cream off. That is usually enough to clear it up pretty quick. But, if this is a new thing a vet's opinion is always best.

Back
Top Bottom