Red Star died out of the blue, no idea what happened

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Summer98, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Summer98

Summer98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2011
    My favorite, young and healthy Red Star was found dead yesterday. I am very perplexed because she had no signs of illness. Is this just a Red Star thing (as in, this breed has a short life span or something)? I didn't feel any lumps. We couldn't do a necropsy this time because it's too cold out. I'm still just perplexed; she wasn't even two years old yet. She used to follow me around the yard like a dog and want to be carried around. She had plenty of grit and oyster shell available.

2. JCE123

JCE123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    I'm so sorry. I had the same situation last week. Perfectly healthy as far as I knew and then she died with no evident reason at all. Mine was an easter egger, just about 1 year old.

3. JCE123

JCE123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2014
    Actually, I just got a call from my vet, she had sent samples to the lab. It turns out she had coccidiosis and a fatty liver. I am treating my hens with Corid now, so I've got that covered, I hope. And it looks like I better just say no to the little treat beggars, no more sunflower seeds and mealworms.

4. jgoldy2

jgoldy2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2014
    Colorado
    Sadly hens can die with out showing signs of sickness, sorry.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by