Red Star Eggs?????

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by goosemama, Dec 4, 2009.

1. goosemama

goosemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Have 6 Red Star pullets bought at an auction a month ago and 3 Welsummer pullets hatched July 29th so not due to lay until end of December. I have found "large" and "x-large" dark brown eggs (a reddish brown - much darker than my Barred Rocks") last week. The color reminds me of Welsummers eggs but they are only 4 months old!!! I don't know the age of the Red Stars - do they lay a really dark brown egg and large right off the start? I've never seen a pullet lay such a large egg - Its amazing! Does anyone else have Red Stars and do they lay dark brown x-large eggs right from the start?
    Linda

2. XilverAngel

XilverAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2009
    I would think them as welsummer eggs, but 4 months does seem early.....I dont have Red stars, sorry, but i suppose it is possible for them to have dark brown eggs, though all i've heard of are a usual brown. Do u have any pics? it would help alot. [​IMG]

3. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    I'll shall try to take some pictures tomorrow to show them against the Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers and Leghorns - they are the most beautiful dark reddish brown color - but can't believe that at 4 months they would be ready to lay?

4. dtchick

dtchick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2009
    I have five red star hens who started laying a few weeks ago. They can lay some beautiful dark brown eggs but they haven't been overly large yet.

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Cinnamon Queen lays a light brown egg like my Barred Rock. The Black Star lays a little darker and my Delaware lays a nice dark brown egg.

6. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    My Red Sexlink lays a rather large, beautifully dark brown egg. They were big to start with and are impressive now. After almost 2 months of consistantly laying, they are still very dark. I really like her eggs. She started laying at almost 6 months and so far, has only missed one day.

7. Freeze

Freeze New Egg

Oct 17, 2009
    My red stars (golden comet, red sex link...too many names for the same chicken!) lay XL eggs and have from the beginning. Some eggs are light brown, some darker, and occassionally one will have tiny reddish speckles. Their eggs are frequently more oval than a traditional egg shape: both ends will be large, not one pointy and one large. But today someone laid an egg with TWO pointy ends, and someone else laid a fart egg (maybe my black stars starting to lay - they were hatched mid-June).

Jodi in NC
    4 red stars, 4 black stars, 2 barred rocks

8. goosemama

Jul 11, 2009
    Forestville, New York
    Thank you - all that info helps. I think I can narrow it down to the new Red Stars who are laying the large dark brown eggs. I have never had them before but have heard what super egg layers they are, but never expected this dark color or the size. My 4 Barred Rocks and l Delaware lay a light brown egg. Can't wait to see what color the Wellies will lay when they start.

9. catdaddyfro

catdaddyfro Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2009
    Vernon Parish
    Yes I'd say it your Red Stars laying the eggs they are old enough now to begin laying.

I have five GSL's that were hatched in April around Easter and they've been laying since late Sept. and they all 5 lay a dark brown terra-cotta colored large egg and have laid large eggs right from the start.

Around 20 to 22 weeks is the magic number for these production type hens to start laying and some start sooner than others. I had two to start a couple weeks before the other three did.

catdaddy

10. mags2009

mags2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Red Star's Rock!!!! My red star lays the biggest egg and hasn't missed a day since she started to lay in October! Her eggs are a rich dark brown also. She is also our smallest chicken!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by