Red Star Fans out there?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chris10sen, Jul 17, 2010.

1. chris10sen

chris10sen Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2010
    So when I picked my five chickies from MPC I started with cold hardy since I live in MN. Then I looked at calm personalities but wanted decent layers as well. So I picked out a Silver Laced Wyandotte, Australorph, and an EE for the previous stated reasons. I threw in two red stars just to make sure I had some hens and some good layers. Well at almost 4 weeks my red stars have the greatest, most trusting and adventurous personality of them all! Who new? I really think I could easily become a fan of the red star. Any other fans out there? I do hope my other three do become more trusting. I know they are young and time will help.

Lisa

2. cpegram

cpegram Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]

I have 4 and yes they are sweet mine are 13 weeks....I had an order from cackle hatchery and got too anxious and bought some little chicks from TSC that i was told were RIR much to my surprise were red stars but love em [​IMG]

3. TcherDawn

TcherDawn Granite State Chook

Jan 30, 2009
    Prescott, AZ
    I got started pullets last year. I thought they would be unfriendly and standoffish, but they were so friendly and docile. We go pick them up, and they will sit on your lap if you let them. Very nice calm breed. Mine are Hyline. I ordered a Red Star chick with my recent chick order and she is a sweetie too. My 5 Hyline gals lay 5 eggs a day almost every day. Maybe one or two days a month they don't lay. You will love them. And the other girls will start to know you have treats!

4. Karen_at_LittleBrook

Karen_at_LittleBrook Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Rome, NY
    Love my Red Star's!!!! I did not order RS's with my original chick order... I happened upon them at an Agway & they were the same age as my new chicks at home. These 4 Rs's that I bought at Agway ran right up to me in the store at a week, allowed me to pet them all the way home and now 8 wks later they are all still the most friendly girls I have. They seem very smart also. They are pretty much lap-chickens, two esp. love to jump up and sit on my lap. One, her name is Shannon absolutly loves me... she wants to be held all the time! I'm so glad that I feel for the impulse to buy them that day. BONUS* A friend of my husbands has 16 week old RS's and they have already started laying!!!!

This is Shannon on July 4th... her first day in her new run! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. stampntam

stampntam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Spring Grove, PA
    I love my red stars too, Elmo, Nemo and Ginny!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    I have four Red Stars and they are wonderful girls. They will be 8 weeks old on Monday. They come running to the gate of their run whenever we come near, looking for treats. They jump up on my lap, follow me around, and will fly up to your hand to grab a raisin. And they are very pretty birds, too.

Pics are here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=373519

(scroll down- the Dominique pics are first)

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  7. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Had them a number of years ago and found they were not only gentle but excellent layers. Switched to Black Stars, just for a chance of color, with the same result. Now I have a few of both.

8. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

I have a Red Star and her chick... I rased the chick since it was born, not knowing with was her mother because a different hen layed on all of the eggs [​IMG] Now I know that the chick is Red Star/RIR. Here are some pix [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    mama
    [​IMG]
    And her BEAUTIFUL chick [​IMG]
    ... The hen/mothers name is Tiny (Even though she is the biggest of ALL my chickens... even the rooster)
    And the chicks name is Wafers, named after her now dead Aunt, Nilla. (Nilla was a White Leghorn, she and Tiny just had the same daddy [​IMG])

9. Louieandthecrew

Louieandthecrew I am actually a female!

... This is Wafers Daddy [​IMG] He is a miniature fany RIR Rooster [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Hello hotty! [​IMG]
    I love them!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by