Red Star/ Golden Comet egg question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CAchickens, Aug 5, 2013.

1. CAchickens

CAchickens New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    Hi all! We had 4 red stars (or golden comets, I guess), in our flock, and they all lay big beautiful cream colored eggs. We recently rescued 2 more (horribly neglected) ladies, and although they look the same as our red stars, they lay incredibly gorgeous huge, dark eggs- really dark. Like almost black copper marans dark. Does anyone have any idea why these chickens lay such dark eggs? We have a RIR rooster that we were going to breed with our Delaware to hatch some Red Stars of our own, but is there some different ombination that would get us some more layers of these wonderful eggs? Thank you!!

2. Veer67

Veer67 Chillin' With My Peeps

I used to have a Red Star that layed dark colored eggs too, a Red Star is a hybrid so they won't breed true. Maybe one of your Red star's parents was a breed that layed dark eggs.

3. CAchickens

CAchickens New Egg

Aug 5, 2013
    We are looking for egg production. What do you recommend for the breed crossing? Is there a better combo than RIR rooster and Delaware hen, in your opinion? Thanks so much for the help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by