Red Star Mystery

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by suzndannie, Dec 18, 2016.

1. suzndannie

suzndannie Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2016
    What we know:

We purchased (4) one-week-old chickies (all supposedly sexed to be female) at a local hatchery about 9mos ago. Two were "Red Star" (i.e., sex-linked.. young females are red; males are not, we believed); These 2 were both red. Turned out, 3 of the 4 were male! We returned the other 2 roos (Speckled Sussex), but this fellow wasn't to be caught, so he stays.

We're now wondering what breed he is, as our daughter wants to hatch some eggs & he's our only roo, so would be nice to understand what breed of hen would work best. Oh yeah... the 4th chickie... the "other Red Star" SHE's now laying eggs & he's not! [​IMG]

Would love somebody's guess on what breed he is. Thanks!!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. suzndannie

Mar 6, 2016
    Yes, the last picture at the bottom is the "Red Star" hen purchased when we bought the roo.

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Both the red rooster and hen are Production Reds, not sexlinks.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Not sure what was going on at the hatchery, but I agree you have production Reds, not red sex links. They'll breed true if you hatch eggs from that hen and the rooster.

6. Cel45

Cel45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2015
    Houston, Tx
    I am going to go iut on a limb here and say that there is something else in at least the roo. It looks like he has white skin to me, possibly some Orpington in the mix.

7. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    x2

8. suzndannie

Mar 6, 2016
    Thank you all so much for the helpful feedback!! This is definitely good info to have! Happy Holidays

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by