Red star parents. What are they?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by treeguardian, Dec 1, 2008.

1. treeguardian

treeguardian New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    I have had Red Stars for couple of years now and love them so much that I would like to breed them myself. Does anyone out there know the parents breeds? Thanks! And my little boy thanks you as they are his pets too. [​IMG]

McBena, Mom to one little autistic boy, a 12yr old puppy, two horses, eight sheep, seven rabbits, two turkeys, a cow and 5 black cochin bantams, 6 red stars, and 15 americaunas. oh and my husband is in there somewhere.

2. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    Red sex links are a cross between an RIR or NHR male and one of several other breeds including White Rocks, RIW, SLW, Delawares.

4. Birch Run Farm

Birch Run Farm Biddy up!

Sep 5, 2008
    VERMONT
    It probably depends on where you buy your stock from. McMurray uses RIR X white leghorn.

5. treeguardian

treeguardian New Egg

Mar 23, 2008
    Thanks for the info! I will check into getting these breeds and see what happens this spring![​IMG]

6. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

If white Rocks or Leghorns are used they are a special strain that has the silver gene.

Not all Leghorns and Rocks do, if they don't, you won't get sex linked chicks. I don't think you can tell just by looking at them if they have the right genes.

I think Delaware's always have silver so that's an alternative for you.

7. Quote:I believe these are called "Cinnamon Queens". I have a few of these and they have great personalities, they lay great and they are bigger than the leghorns and not as huge as the RIRs. Personally I really like the RIR hens, but not the roos.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by