Red Star Pullet with BROKEN beak!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AimeeJohn47, Aug 4, 2014.

1. AimeeJohn47

AimeeJohn47 Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Hi everyone,

I just adopted 2 Red Star pullets yesterday. When I got them home I realized one had a broken/missing beak. It doesn't look like a new injury as the edges appear very smooth. I'm worried about her ability to eat and survive (although she seems to be a nice healthy size). Do you think her beak will grow back?

Also, when examining the other Red Star, I noticed her beak looked a little haggard. The environment in which I got them from wasn't the best and I'm wondering if lack of proper care, nutrients etc. could have caused these injuries.

Any advice to help these little ladies would be so greatly appreciated!

2. AimeeJohn47

AimeeJohn47 Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Here are some pictures of her beak. :(
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    That looks like a bad beak trimming/clipping job - it's done to prevent birds pecking one another and causing injury as it removes the sharp/pointed end of the beak and leaves them able to "poke" but not "stab"

4. AimeeJohn47

AimeeJohn47 Just Hatched

Jan 12, 2014
    Long Island, NY
    Oh that's terrible! I can't imagine the need for trimming her beak because she is such a timid and skittish hen! Do you think the beak will grow back?

5. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How sad...it is obvious from the pictures you posted that this hen has been trimmed/clipped way too short by the previous owner!!! With that said, here's a page with a wealth of information on what you can do to possibly help her:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/search?q=broken+beak
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by