red star pullet

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by pattypenny, Aug 8, 2008.

1. pattypenny

pattypenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2007
    [​IMG]
    6/24/2008 I posted my red star sex links pullets. they are 3 months old now . What do you think of her? Her comb is getting red and I think she will lay eggs soon.

2. Jashdon

Jashdon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Snohomish, WA
    What a pretty girl! I was thinking about getting some red stars because I hear they lay well in the winter. Thanks for the picture...

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    If that's a Red Star, what does a RIR look like????

4. justhatchin

justhatchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2008
    Galva, Kansas
    I have 6 red sex link at 5 months now. They started laying the middle of July. My 1 year olds layed all year, right through ice storms and electrical outages(11 days) !
    Good luck on having eggs soon. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Rusty Hills Farm

Rusty Hills Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Up at the barn
    If that's a Red Star, what does a RIR look like????

The red is much, MUCH darker. The pix below is from feathersite.com....

[​IMG]

HTH​

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    She sure is a pretty one. My Red Sex Link started laying eggs this week , she is 15 weeks old. Good luck on getting your first egg. It is a hoot.[​IMG][​IMG]:weee:ya

7. pattypenny

Sep 27, 2007
    Thanks Hawki ! I was going to hunt a photo of my RIR rooster but you saved me the trouble. My sex link chicks came from cackle hatchery and they look different from most of sex links I see on the net. thanks chick4chicks for telling me about the 15 week old sex link laying. This gave me hope.
    If I live till spring I am going to cross these bird with my RIR to see what I will get. I love hatching chicks under my hens.
    My bantams set last year in December so I might try some of the eggs under a hen before spring. Life is uncertain , why wait when you can do something today.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2008
  8. pattypenny

Sep 27, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Well life is short as I said Mahonri so here is one of my RIR hens from cackle I raised last spring. They are so red they look almost black.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by