red star roos - carcass pics

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jenjscott, Jul 16, 2008.

1. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    Well I certainly wouldn't suggest buying red star straight run. I probably would have done better giving away the roos the day I got them. In my defense I can only say it was my first order and I won't do it again. I bet the guys at the hatchery were laughing all the way to the post office.

Here is a red star roo at 18 weeks dressed out at 3-1/4 #

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Where did all that feed go? I'ts not worth the feed put into it and barely worth the time it took to process it. Now I've got to figure out what the best way to cook it is.

On the other hand. The pullets started laying at 15 weeks and at 18 weeks and 19 pullets I'm getting about 9 eggs a day.

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    And RSL's, being hybrids, grow better than most your purebreeds will!

I will say, of all the 'breeds' of chicken, the black sex links grow faster and fatter than anything. But, I still wouldn't recommend them as a primary source of chicken food.

3. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    Oh dear. I have been there and I feel your pain!!

4. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    I thought it was a nice looking bird

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    I guess its a matter of perspective. When you see all those pics of the cornish x and look at the birds in the store, there's no comparison. And I can garauntee, you don't want to eat this bird fried!

6. holliewould

holliewould Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Planet Earth
    I must be stupid, it looks super good to me! Seriously. It's absolutely fabulous. Why so disappointed? The 3.5lbs. of meat? Can you break it down by pound? How much money in feed? Curious.

1 person likes this.
  7. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    why not fried was he old or something,I guess cause i grew up eaten chickens like that im not so finicky,and our chickens pretty much took care of themselves,a little corn or wheat is all they got from us

Last edited: Jul 16, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    You did fairly well in my opinion. It was a dual purpose hybrid and not a Broiler. So all things considered you did quite well! Do not be dissapointed, it looks better than some of the dual purpose we have processed.

-Kim

9. hs3144

hs3144 Just Hatched

Aug 15, 2013
    I've raised meat birds for my family for about 6 years now. I think the bird in the picture looks fantastic. I tried to raise Jumbo Cornish x Rocks once and I was so disgusted I couldn't do it again. I have a self sustaining flock now and the males are culled at about 18-20 weeks. The flavor compared to the JCR is not even comparable. People in the US are so used eating chicken that doesn't even taste like chicken any more. I have teeth and taste buds in my mouth and I like to use them. If you want your heritage male chickens to have more meat, learn to castrate them. It is fantastic. We get enough meat without that and again, I think the bird in the pic looks great.

2 people like this.
  10. annewandering

annewandering Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2013
    Idaho
    I ordered Cornish Roasters and I hope someone shoots me if I do it again. They are sweet birds but the poop is just overwhelming. Rather have a smaller bird that isnt going to be such a problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by