Red Star Sex-Links Question

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by jonross, Sep 8, 2011.

1. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    We have two 4 month old Red Stars. One of them (the redder of the two, btw) is starting to squawk quite a bit. Not "crow," per se, but she's kind of loud, ouder than any of our other seven chickens. And while I wouldn't say "she" is aggressive exactly, she is certainly more assertive and brave and curious than most of the other chickens. (She's the one who comes running up to me when I go into our back yard. And "her" crop is bigger than the other Red Star. What I'm asking is: are the colors ever wrong? Do the ones that are all red, as opposed to the white and buff, ever turn out to be roosters? I guess we'll know soon enough if "she" starts crowing for real. Thanks!

2. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    It sounds like she is singing the 'egg song!' It also seems that she is the boss! I'd say to be watching for eggs soon!

3. jonross

jonross Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Thanks! I wondered if that could be the case. I heard they get louder when they're laying. But I've also been told that they won't start until 6 months, and I also heard that since it'll be molting season in November when they turn 6 months they won't start laying until Feb. [​IMG] But we live in Southern California where it's 72 degrees all year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by