Red Star X Dominique Cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Big A Chickens, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    I have a Red Sex Link roo in with my Dominique hens. I know that crossing two sex links will not produce sex link chicks, but what about a sex link crossed with a pure breed. The reason I ask is because the chicks that I've hatched out from my Doms which are about one week old are 50% all grey / blue and 50% grey/blue with a white spot on theirs head with some barring in the feathers. Are these considered sex linked chicks also?

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    well...YES you have created more sex links... the roo is none barred and the hens are barred, this will produce none barred hens(thanks to dad) and Barred boys(thanks to mother) the one with the white/yellow head spot are the boys

there are many sex link genes that can be used to create sex links, like gold/silver(your red sex link roo is using gold/silver type of sexlink) barring(B)..Dermal Inhibitor(Id/id+) recessive chocolate(chocolate roo over a black hen, will produce chocolate hens and black rooster. Sex link Dilute gene(allelic to sex link barring, so it can be used as barring) and many more....

Last edited: Oct 3, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  3. Big A Chickens

Big A Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2012
    Palmetto, Georgia
    Thanks nicalandia.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by