Red Star x Red Star Chicks

Does anyone have red star x red star chicks? I've read that they would not be red star I was wondering what they would be?
They would but not sexable at hatch as You would be getting both Silver and Gold columbian chicks of both sex. But with a good breeding plan You may be able to recreate both Silver and gold lines to produce sexlinks

for more info about their genetics you can visit my thread

Isa Brown vs Amberlink: Understanding the Genetics behind them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...derstanding-the-genetics-behind-them.1322163/

Last edited:
Red Stars aren't a breed but a hybrid. In other words theyre mixed breeds and theres no guarantee what exactly the parental stock was genetically.
Chicks from crossing them would be more mixed breeds and I don't think you can predict the colors/patterns without knowing the exact genetics that went into them.

I have a chicken that is a product of a red sex link crossed with a red sex link. She is all white and a lovely bird. As other posters have stated the sex linked trait is only predictable in the first generation. I expected her to be white with some red leakage over her shoulders but she ended up completely white, slightly cream colored.
67884C7D-F6D4-4974-B5E1-F2D7E2130FB6.jpeg

Red Stars aren't a breed but a hybrid. In other words theyre mixed breeds and theres no guarantee what exactly the parental stock was genetically.
Chicks from crossing them would be more mixed breeds and I don't think you can predict the colors/patterns without knowing the exact genetics that went into them.
When you reach a certain level of understanding of genetics nothing can be kept as secret or as trade secret from You. Many here lack even the most basic knowledge of genetics, some like You are pretty advanced but just don't like to speculate on these type of subjects

I have a chicken that is a product of a red sex link crossed with a red sex link. She is all white and a lovely bird. As other posters have stated the sex linked trait is only predictable in the first generation. I expected her to be white with some red leakage over her shoulders but she ended up completely white, slightly cream colored.View attachment 2321202
Nothing unusual about the result, she is actually proof of what I was saying. Her genetic make up is Wheaten(eWh/eWh), Silver(S/-), not red enhanced(mh+/mh+) and Columbian restricted(Co/Co) and Dominant White(I/I).

I did not think it was unusual It just wasn’t what I expected because she was showing some signs of reddish feathers over her shoulders when she was very young but then that disappeared.😊

When you reach a certain level of understanding of genetics nothing can be kept as secret or as trade secret from You. Many here lack even the most basic knowledge of genetics, some like You are pretty advanced but just don't like to speculate on these type of subjects
Ya I really don't like to speculate and I don't really care much for running the options through my head when it comes to mixed breeds with any unknown (to me) genes.
I can't look at ANY bird and identify every gene it has showing and sure don't have the knowledge to know what recessive genes its carrying.
Idk that I'm advanced. I know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. Still so much more I could learn.
I just saw the mention of silver and gold Columbian and knew they could produce white and maybe others.

Nothing unusual about the result, she is actually proof of what I was saying. Her genetic make up is Wheaten(eWh/eWh), Silver(S/-), not red enhanced(mh+/mh+) and Columbian restricted(Co/Co) and Dominant White(I/I).

Can you tell me what breed she possibly is descended from based on the genetic make up you are stating? I am in the medical field but only have basic genetics training. She was hatched from a grocery store egg I wrote to the egg producer to ask what breeds they use but they never responded. Photos on their website show a red sex link but as you know this could be many different combinations of birds.😊🙏

Back
Top Bottom