Red Stars, 18 weeks old, all the behaviors say it's time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MommyMagpie, Aug 15, 2011.

1. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    They are practicing the egg song in the morning with the two older girls, they have the fluffiest butts you've ever seen, they squat, they have nice red combs and wattles, but when I go look in the nest box they run after me and when I turn around to ask them where are the eggs, they have this expression on their faces like "eggs? what eggs? we have to lay EGGS? you must be joking"[​IMG]

I have people calling me every other day asking for eggs, these girls better clock in and go to work or I will sing the soup pot song.

[​IMG]

2. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    don't worry I bet within the next week you'll start to have the fixins for a good omelet

3. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    x2 it'll be any day now. Practicing egg song means you're within a week. They may also be laying shell-less eggs that get gobbled up by the others as soon as they drop too. Mine did that. Their engines need to warm up before they produce eggs like an indy car [​IMG].

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    18 weeks, that is the count down.
    I bet you don't have long to wait.

5. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    Haha, Pele, love the Indycar reference, and you're probably right - I guess you could say they are all lined up on the grid now, ready for the pace laps.

And I do have an egg-eater, one of the older girls is very bad to peck at the eggs and we have to check the coop a bazillion times a day to get them before she does. We tried chicken jail and that didn't stop it, so I'm just going to deal with it for the time being, the two older ones are headed to freezer camp soon.

But we have to get the relief drivers up to speed first.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by