Red stars and Black stars

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KingR0o5t3r, Dec 3, 2012.

1. KingR0o5t3r

KingR0o5t3r Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    Are they sex linked? Plus any known info

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Yes, they are a hybrid, and good ones at that. Great layers, in my opinion. Good dispositions. I have nothing bad to say about them.

They are easy to tell apart at hatch. Not sure about the Red Stars, but the Black Stars have a white patch on the head of the males (I think...it's been a while). The Red Stars are similar, from my understanding.

My daughters think they look boring. They clearly don't see the value of a productive hen [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  3. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    Okay:) thanks. Just what I wanted to know

4. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    What are the colorings of the males and females as adults?

5. JeffOeuf

JeffOeuf Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Springfield Missouri
    Black Star pullets will be black with a red neck (usually). Red Star pullets will be red with a bit of whitish-brownish thrown in somewhat randomly. Red Star cockerels are white -- I think. Not sure about Black Star cockerels.

6. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    thanks

7. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

black star roosters are barred, with a little cream or tan in there

8. erinszoo

erinszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    North Central Oklahoma
    Our red stars that we've had for over a year now are grumpy little *****. Just saying. They bite us and peck the others and are only average layers. They are nothing like the great dispositions of our barred rocks. We also have two black sex link that are just two months old now who are sweet sweet birds, obviously they haven't started laying yet. I won't buy any more red stars.

They say it depends on where you get them from what they are like because each hatchery has it's own breeding stock for them and their own combinations of birds that they cross. Females in sex link take on the appearance of the father and males take on the appearance of the mother bird. So, a red sex link that is the cross of a white plymouth and a rhode island red with have red females and white males. But there are several combinations that give sex link birds.

9. OleMissChic

OleMissChic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2012
    Oxford, Mississippi
    I just rescued two red stars 3 days ago. One is laying age and the other is maybe a month or so away. They are both curious and very sweet compared to the other 3 rescued birds. Can't wait to get them out of quarantine and really get to know them. So far I'm impressed considering they were mistreated and they seem to like having me around already.

10. KingR0o5t3r

Dec 2, 2012
    Vail AZ
    That's a sweet story:) where do people/ you rescue them from?I would like to aswell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by