1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Stars - first egg @ 16 weeks, now nothing....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tomatomudhead, Aug 26, 2011.

1. tomatomudhead

tomatomudhead Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2011
    The title tells the story. I have 11 Red Stars that I free range in the afternoons but coop up in the mornings. Last week I put 2 golf balls in the nest box and earlier this week (Tuesday or Wednesday), my first little egg showed up! It was about the size of the golf balls.

Now the problem; they haven't layed again. At least not that I know of. I kept them cooped all day today just in case they were laying them in the brush somewhere..... it's dark outside now and there is no eggs.

Is this normal? Laying one egg, then following with nothing for several days?

I know it's early, just wondering why I haven't got another egg yet.....

Never raised Red Stars before.

Thanks

Tom

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    Same thing happened to my Golden Comets. Tiny egg, then nothing for weeks. They're just gearing up [​IMG]

3. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Perfectly perfect! Not to worry....

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    Yeah.. my silkies did that too. Of course, they have never laid an egg a day but I waited for about a week for my next egg LOL

5. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    Mine are 17 weeks now and we had the same thing happen. One little egg then a second bigger egg then nothing for like a week. Now I have three hens laying pullet eggs just waiting for everyone to get laying.

6. GracieMarie

GracieMarie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2011
    Our Golden Comet started early Aug. We've had big eggs and small eggs, several missed days in a row and then several egg days in a row. Yesterday was a tiny egg and today was a huge egg after a few soft shell broken eggs. We don't ever know what to expect when we look. She's the only one laying out of our four. Not sure how long it takes for a regular pattern.

7. LilyD

LilyD Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2011
    Bristol, VT
    I imagine it must take a while to get consistent laying. After all at 16 or 17 weeks they are still growing themselves so they don't have as much energy to put towards egg laying. I know I am getting two or three eggs a day when I get them out of 12 hens that are 17 weeks, but they are all breeding with my roo and are adult size. I am just going to wait and see what happens next I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by