1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red Stars have stopped laying. Why?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowman1970, Sep 16, 2012.

1. cowman1970

cowman1970 Out Of The Brooder

Is anyone here familiar with Red Stars? I have 5 that abruptly stopped laying about a month ago. They aren't even molting. They share an area with other chickens that still lay on a regular basis and they all get the same nutrition. I have noticed in the past month at the auction barns there have been a pile of them being sold. Maybe others are having the same problem?

2. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    How old are they? I have about 15 of them and they're my best layers! I hope they don't decide to stop! [​IMG]

3. cowman1970

I'm not sure. I would imagine less than a year. I bought 6 for $3 around the beginning of June. They were laying like crazy until mid-August then they stopped. I did find 1 about 10 minutes ago. I think it is kind of ironic that I've been seeing the birds like crazy at the auction barns.

4. yinzerchick

yinzerchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2011
    E.Texas
    I don't know...I have some that are 6 months and some that are 18 months and they're all laying. Molting maybe?[​IMG]

5. cowman1970

No, they aren't molting. I'm not sure what is going on with them. Since I found one today I hope the start laying again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by