Red Stars?

SamG347

Songster
12 Years
Mar 4, 2007
PA
In my order to Mcmurray I wanted to get 2 red-star hens. But I have heard both good and bad about them. I was wondering if anyone has any from Mcmurray...please post pics and what you think of them.
I will be getting the following breeds...

2 Black Australorp
2 Red Star
3 White Orpington

big_smile.png

Red Star = Red Sex Link

As with all sex linked hybrids, they are great layers. Some people claim they are short lived and over produce; but I've always felt this was more a result of them being typically housed in egg batteries (industrial egg farms). I think RSL's are very handsome birds.

I have had MM red stars for about 5 years. Very friendly, gentle, great layers of xlarge and jumbo eggs. Their production does drop off significantly after about 2 years though, like a lot more than purebred heritage breeds and I haven't been overly thrilled with the egg shell quality on some of them. I keep oyster shell out at all times and where other breeds continue to produce excellent shells, sometimes theirs are a little thin. Could be because they lay a lot. They are very easy to raise, are kind of trouble makers on other chicks, but have very good appetites and take cold well.

We are raising new Aussies and Red Stars together right now and they are two of the easiest keepers. Our Blue Andalusians, Red Stars and Australorps are the biggest "bullies" of the bunch. They walk all over the Cuckoo Marans, White Rocks, Buff Rocks, EEs, Cochins and believe it or not, RIRs too.

My cousin has about 8 Red Star hens and 1 Red Star Roo. Here are some current pictures of them. They are just over 1 year old and laying like crazy. She gets large brown eggs from them every day. They are the best layers she has in her flock.

RStars1.jpg

RStars2.jpg

Enjoy!

Thanks everyone! Sounds like we made a good pick choosing some red sexlinks for the flock. I have lots of different colored birds now...but only 1 red one....no solid blacks...and no solid whites. So now I will have some new color in the flock as well.
big_smile.png

I am new to chickens, I have 3 red stars I got when they were a week old. One was a little runt that I spent lots of time on. Now she is the bossy one to the others! I have hand trained all of them, they love to have their belly rubbed or their neck, they will push each other out of the way to get their rubbies! I think they are really sweet, I make sure to spend time with them each day so they don't loose the training. I just love them. I heard they begin to lay at about 20 weeks, is that true?

Back
Top Bottom