Red Stars?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by TexasChicken12, Dec 9, 2014.

1. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    We ordered Red Stars from Ideal Poultry, but I'm wondering if they gave us Rode Island Reds instead. Here is a picture of one of our galls.[​IMG]
    Reason being I looked up pictures of red stars and RIRs and ours look more like RIRs. Thanks for your help!

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

My Meyer's "hatchery" stock RIRs look like that

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not Red Stars or Red Sex Links, which should show alot of White from the mother.

These are production reds or hatchery stock red birds. They will lay almost as well, if eggs are what you are after. There are worse mistakes in life. [​IMG]

4. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

You will still get tons of eggs!

1 person likes this.
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They are hatchery quality Rhode Island Reds, commonly called "Production Reds." They aren't sex links, but should still lay you lots of large brown eggs!

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    They definitely aren't Red Stars (Red Sex Links) which have white in the tail feathers and white underfluff. They are Production Reds. They won't quite match the lay rate of the Red Sex Links, which are egg laying machines, but they will still be excellent layers. I'm really surprised that Ideal Poultry made a mistake like this. Maybe they had run out of RSLs and substituted Production Reds, but they should have at least notified you if that was the case.

7. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    [​IMG]

Red Sex-Links pictured above. (RIR x SLW)
    Not a speck of white on them. They're shedding out their baby/juvie feathers and are red with black tail feathers.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Your birds are very atypical Red Sex Links; certainly not what is marketed by Ideal Poultry. Depending on which of the three different labels Ideal markets its Red Sex Links under, Ideal uses either RIR X Delaware (Red Sex Link label), RIR X RIW (Gold Sex Link label), or RIR X silver factor WR (Brown Sex Link label). On several occasions, I've ordered Red Sex Links from Ideal and they have always matured with white feathers in the tail.

9. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They look like Production Reds to me, too.

10. TexasChicken12

TexasChicken12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    That's what I thought. :/ That's kind of dishonest of ideal. Oh well, they are still favorites at our house. Thanks so much for all of your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by