Red "stuff" in the water

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PaPa Charlie, Dec 12, 2012.

  1. PaPa Charlie

    PaPa Charlie Out Of The Brooder

    11
    1
    24
    Jul 30, 2012
    I have been noticing some red stuff in the chickens water fount for a few weeks now. We use a plastic 5 gallon water fount that hangs. Our water comes from well water that is filtered and runs through a softener. At first I thought that the red stuff was some sort of algae, but the red stuff kind of collects at the bottom of the water reservoir like a cloud. I now think that the red stuff could be iron separating from the water. Is this a problem for the chickens? I want to put a few drops of bleach in the water. Can chickens handle the weak bleach?

    Charlie
     
  2. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  3. triplepurpose

    triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

    989
    175
    198
    Oct 13, 2008
    I'd skip the bleach. Especially if you don't know that it's algae. Besides, bleach is going to do more harm than any algae would anyway IMHO, so why go there? :)
     
  4. ChickensAreSweet

    ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

    Oh I forgot to mention that rust iron isn't digestible by people. I'd assume it was the same for chickens???
     

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by