Red swallen bum, bald belly, scruffy wings and heavy breathing?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Mar 6, 2014.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    My x battery hen Maxi's bum has lost all its feathers and gone bright red and swollen. Also her wings are all scruffy, her feathers are missing on her belly, and her breathing seems quite heavy and you can hear the the air and gurgling in her throat when she breathes (especially when you pick her up). any ideas what's wrong with her? here are some pics;

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. This is what I would do.

Put some VetEX directly on her nostrils. Put some VetRX in her water. I then would feed some meat protein to her. The following day, I would dust her with DE and even Sevin.

Wish ya the best.

3. HoneyMelon

HoneyMelon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Maryland
    I was just about to post almost the same thing about my hen. She has the awful swollen bum that is below her vent (her vent looks pretty ok). The swollen mass is warm but not that firm- I can manipulate it. She has also lost all her feathers on her belly- all the way up to her crop. She has been ravaged by my roosters so I figure that is why she is loosing her back feathers. But my hen is happy otherwise eating and active. Thought I would tag along onto your post to save answering time.
    I gave my hen a nice warm bath and she is relaxing in a cat carrier in the kitchen (it is cold here) and enjoying scrambled egg till I can figure out what this is.[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The first picture is her bum and the second is a shot from the front. I would separate her for now from the others so they dont peck her back end.

4. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks for the replies! I hope you're hen gets better soon HoneyMellon, I will give Maxi a hot soak tomorrow!

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Can all the other chickens drink the vetrx in the water?

6. tatertot

tatertot Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2013
    Look for casportpony..she can give you good advice on sick birds...

7. Yes all the others can drink VetRX. It us good for respiratory aiding in all the chickens.

8. HoneyMellon you bird looks like she may have an ovation condition called peritonitis. I am not a vet but it does look like it.

9. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    I have just given her a bath and she is more bald than I thought.She has a bold patch on her back,her whole belly is bold as well as her front and under her wings. Also I don't think she is laying.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. HoneyMelon

HoneyMelon Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2014
    Maryland
    Did you see the post in response to my chicken? Where Chick Charm suggested peritonitis? It makes sense. You should search previous threads like I am doing on BYC. So far am learning a lot and it makes sense. Hope that helps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by