Red, swollen, featherless backside!

TDVGray

In the Brooder
Jul 21, 2016
Tennessee
Hello, We have a young hen, Lyra, who has developed a swollen, featherless, soft watery lump beneath her vent between her legs. Her comb is red and perky, she eats and drinks well, lays an egg a day, and seems well otherwise. I applied some antibiotic ointment on some areas that appeared irritated. This has been going on for about 2 months now, not better or worse. Is this normal? Could it be a hernia? I have read that other owners have drained the liquid from swellings of this type but I don't know that I am up to that at this point, or if it might do more harm than good anyway. Any suggestions or advice? Thank you

It may be water belly. It will continue to fill with fluid, and feels like a water balloon. The comb stays red when they have it. I've read it's more common in Barred Rocks than other breeds.

My Barred Rock had it last year, and I knew it was getting larger, and didn't know if I could drain it properly myself so I took her to the vet. and they drained it, after doing an ultrasound. It filled up again around two months later and I drained it at home.

It's a symptom of something seriously wrong.

What happened to your hen when she had this? Did you figure out what caused this? I hope she's still alive! Lyra is still eating and laying eggs perfectly fine and not showing symptoms of anything else wrong. Her backside is soft and has a few scabby bits on it. So if you drain it is that better then leaving it be? is there anything else this could possibly be? The lump also hasn't gotten larger over the span of two months.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The vet. examined some of the fluid withdrawn and said there were many inflammatory cells, and thought she either had cancer or a liver problem. She passed away around two weeks after I drained her at home. She was skin and bones.

I looked at your bottom picture closer and there appears to be a hole in her abdomen. It looks like it's just swollen in the area around the hole. Maybe she has an infection from an injury. With water belly the entire abdomen swells, and I could hold it in my hand like a water balloon.

You don't want put a needle in her if there's nothing to drain. Water belly would be larger over a span of two months.

Last edited:
Thank you for your reply. An injury could be the root cause. We did not even notice this swelling until we had given her a bath one afternoon to clean up a poopy rear. Will the feather grow back as the infection, if it is that, heals? Would you suggest getting her to a vet for antibiotics? I have been giving our flock ACV ans probiotics in their water for a few days now but maybe she needs something stronger?

I feel hopeful that you think the swelling would be larger if it were waterbelly.

Taking her to a vet. would be the best idea. For an infection she needs something stronger to kill the bacteria, then give probiotics. If she does need an antibiotic just be sure to question the vet. on the withdrawal time for eggs.

The feathers should grow back when she molts.

I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, Thursday. Will update with new information afterwards. Thanks for your responses.

I have an appointment with the vet tomorrow, Thursday. Will update with new information afterwards. Thanks for your responses.
Hi, just trying my luck and hoping you will see this comment after so many years. Everything you have described for your chicken Lyra fits the description for my chicken named Egg Butt. At first we thought this is what our chickens looked like when she was busting to lay an egg, hence the nick name. However, I've now realised she looks like this all the time. I haven't found any information so far that even slightly indicates what it could be and I was wondering what the outcome was for you back in July 2016 when you took Lyra to the vet?

Back
Top Bottom