1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Red swollen feet, rice bag feeling stomach

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ohthathen, Oct 28, 2016.

1. ohthathen

ohthathen In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Hey, guys! So, one of my hens has feet that are reddish. They also look slightly swollen (one more than the other) shes moving around fine so I never thought much of but I picked her up today and the back of her belly (closer to the vent , where the tips of your fingers are if holding like a football) felt almost like a warm ricebag. Is that normal? Ive never noticed it before. I'll attach photos of her feet. She was being a bugger so they're not super good.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    that little bump thingy is the webbing thats swollen. Shes also the flock bully if that's relevant.

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Free Ranging Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that her more swollen foot does not have a hidden leg band that has become embedded, and cut off circulation. A hair or piece of string can also do this. She could have sprained her foot, or could possibly have a bacterial infection in her foot. Look for any dark scabs on the bottom of feet which could be bumblefoot. Respiratory diseases such as mycoplasma, and other bacterial infections such as staph, strep, and E.coli can also cause infections in the joints. The crop in the chest can feel like it has grain inside it, but the belly usually feels soft unless there is something unusual. Internal laying and egg yolk peritonitis, and ascites can cause swelling in the lower belly.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  3. ohthathen

ohthathen In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    I'll check her leg fo it first thing in the morning! What about her abdomen? It litterally feels like a warm bag of rice. She's been acting totally fine and everything it just seems weird.

4. ohthathen

ohthathen In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Its not really swollen just squishy

5. ohthathen

ohthathen In the Brooder

Oct 13, 2016
    Her booty isn't dirty or anything either

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by