1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Red swollen tail

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Wol1, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Wol1

Wol1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2014
    SW Ohio
    Pictures of inflamed swollen tail on our Rhode Island Red, Marylou are below. I started this under another post, but thought I'd put it up here as a separate thread for people with this problem in their flock. Marylou's tail was swollen and bright red. I thought it was a skin infection, but antibiotic ointments and anti-inflammation meds weren't doing anything. I posted this under another thread about poor Miss Marylou, and it was suggested that it might be an oil gland infection. !! I didn't know such a thing existed.

I started her on antibiotics. We had Cephalexin left from a precautionary prescription prior to a trip. There was a definite improvement within a day. But after that it was back and forth better and worse. I increased the dose bit by bit until I reached about 100 mg 2x/day. That did the trick. I suspect other broad spectrum antibiotics might also work.

Her tail has now been fine for at least a month. Her feathers haven't grown back in yet, but that's related to her earlier medical challenges. I keep hoping she'll molt, but she seems determined not to.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by