Red tail chicken hawk.

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by realsis, Jan 18, 2014.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Today I took one of my girls out to free range and play. We have a sunny day today so she was sunbathing laying down on her side outstretched enjoying the sun. I was sitting next to her petting her while she lay there. My husband came running out and screamed look out! I looked up and 5 feet above me was a red tail chicken hawk! I scooped my bird up so fast and with her in my arms protected I turn to the hawk this all happened so fast. When I turned to the hawk I scared it and it flew away. Whew that was too close! It was going to attack with me their! ! What can I do to keep these hawks away? ?

2. fried green eggs

fried green eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    S.E. Michigan
    Glad you reacted fast. Barn swallows and Purple Martins will chase hawks. Make sure your run has a top that is strong as predators can fly through netting.

3. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes I'm just so surprised it was going to attack with me right there! I thought me being there right next to her would surely keep them away! It would have been so awful because she was so happy and relaxed stretching out enjoying the sun and me petting her and she felt so safe. I didn't even see the darn thing fly up.! Thank God my husband saw the hawk!! She's my best bird and she's super friendly. She is only 4 months old. I sure hate these hawks! They Are ALWAYS watching. !!

4. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    I have seen a bald eagle over my place (six times) this winter. interesting how aggressive that hawk is.

5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I know! I Always thought they were safe as long as I was out with them. I was wrong. He must have been real hungry or they are way more aggressive than I thought. Just wanted to warn others that they will still attack even with a human right there. I was petting my chicken and he was still going to attack her! !! If it wasn't for my husband that hawk would have gotten her. I scooped her up so fast and turned to face that hawk then it got scared. But it wasn't scared with me just sitting there. I learned a valuable lesson. That Those hawks will still attack with humans present.lucky my husband saw it.that was too close. !!

6. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    Now do you know now the super watchful got the nick name, "Hawk Eye or Eagle Eyes?

I can remember when a hawk would not let a person get within about 75 yards of them. By the way, 75 yards is just outside the effective range of a 12 gauge shotgun. 40 some odd years of government protection under the Migratory Bird act has changed the hawk / human dynamic, and not for the better!

7. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    If you've got crows, keep an ear out for them. My crows will squawk LOUD when a hawk is nearby. Love my crows, they're a great warning system!

I used deer netting over the run last year and actually witnessed a hawk making a dive for one of my girls. When the hawk finally saw the netting, it made a fast direction change and shot back up in the air. Couldn't believe how close it came and how effective the netting was.

8. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    how is the netting with ice and snow?

9. Mtn Laurel

Mtn Laurel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2012
    Northern Virginia
    My Coop
    Horrible! Ice and snow will destroy it. I was only using it on a temporary basis but it did the job.

10. Forever Green

Forever Green Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2009
    I lose about 3-4 chickens each year due to hawks. I free range and unfortunately, we have tried everything mentioned and nothing will keep the hawk away especially if they know they have a food source. I actually put water and small amount of food daily in the covering woods where my chickens hide. Once no sign of a hawk, they feel confident and begin to free range without fear, but when once gets hit, they hide again for a week or so. We won't kill them, just can't do that, but they are not afraid of us or guns. We have shot and hit a tree branch with the hawk on it, it sat there. No fear of us. We came home from a dinner out and starting driving down our long driveway and as we got closer to the house area, we saw a hawk on top of one of our chickens. My husband literally got out of the car, mind you the hawk and my dead chicken about 15 feet away, he walks right up behind it and swoops it up. We put the hawk into a large dog carrier and drive on our ATV about 50 acres into our property and set it free.....Of course, it came back. We have learned that we will lose a few birds each year and we do everything we can to avoid it. We are home all day and are always watching the sky. We have also trained our Jack Russell to spot the hawk, she is a better sky watcher than us. She has saved many of our chickens by chasing the hawk. I'm afraid one day this hawk will turn and take my dog next......Just part of nature....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by