Red tail hawks..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by the 412 chicks, Sep 26, 2009.

1. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    We have alot of hawks in our area and i was wondering if therer is a way to prevent an attack.

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Obviously cover your run. If your birds free range, some say stringing fishing line (with or without shiny dvds/cds) across the areas where they hang out will deter hawks. Others suggest a good rooster (for sounding the alarm) or well trained dog...

I watched a pair circling today...it'll be a while before my little girls are allowed out of the run....

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    We couldn't cover our run as our chickens roam our fenced orchard.

Here's what we did, and it's been a few months and not another attack.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. cgmccary

cgmccary Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    We have a lot of Red Tailed hawks in my area as well. They do not bother my chickens, & I do not do anything preventative. I've seen the Red Tailed hawks around me chasing, catching and eating squirrels.

5. the 412 chicks

the 412 chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    fremont
    idk what im gonna do. ill try something and s ee what happends.

6. jessejames

jessejames Out Of The Brooder

Jul 5, 2009
    forest ontario canada
    i have also been found by the local hawks. i watched one grab one of my roosters only to drop him a couple days ago. the rooster was fine, but i did loose my little banty roo a cpl weeks ago without a trace in the middle of the day abd i was thinking it was a hawk, now i am sure.
    i have seen at least one around every day now. my chick free range and have lots of space for cover and i think they are being more cautious now.
    i am wondering if there is anything i can do to help. will leaving a dog out help scare them off? i dont really want to string fishing line everywhere for my chickens and i use the same areas.

on the plus side this is the closest i have ever come to hawks in the wild and i have always had a fascination with birds of prey i just dont want to lose any of my flock to them.

thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by