Red tail hawks..

teach1rusl

Love My Chickens
10 Years
Jul 28, 2009
Floyds Knobs, Indiana
My Coop
My Coop
Obviously cover your run. If your birds free range, some say stringing fishing line (with or without shiny dvds/cds) across the areas where they hang out will deter hawks. Others suggest a good rooster (for sounding the alarm) or well trained dog...

I watched a pair circling today...it'll be a while before my little girls are allowed out of the run....

Happy Chooks

Free Ranging
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Jul 9, 2009
Northern CA
My Coop
My Coop
We couldn't cover our run as our chickens roam our fenced orchard.

Here's what we did, and it's been a few months and not another attack.

IMG_1360.jpg

IMG_1357.jpg

cgmccary

Crowing
13 Years
Sep 14, 2007
NE Alabama
We have a lot of Red Tailed hawks in my area as well. They do not bother my chickens, & I do not do anything preventative. I've seen the Red Tailed hawks around me chasing, catching and eating squirrels.

jessejames

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
forest ontario canada
i have also been found by the local hawks. i watched one grab one of my roosters only to drop him a couple days ago. the rooster was fine, but i did loose my little banty roo a cpl weeks ago without a trace in the middle of the day abd i was thinking it was a hawk, now i am sure.
i have seen at least one around every day now. my chick free range and have lots of space for cover and i think they are being more cautious now.
i am wondering if there is anything i can do to help. will leaving a dog out help scare them off? i dont really want to string fishing line everywhere for my chickens and i use the same areas.

on the plus side this is the closest i have ever come to hawks in the wild and i have always had a fascination with birds of prey i just dont want to lose any of my flock to them.

thanks

Top Bottom