red tailed hawk - GRRRRRRRRR!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by 19hhbelgian, Sep 6, 2009.

1. 19hhbelgian

19hhbelgian Pigs DO Fly!!

Apr 9, 2009
    New Tripoli PA
    We got home from breakfast this morning, and my serama roo was having a canary [​IMG] I figured one of the girls was laying an egg - he has a tantrum when they get worked up over their eggs, so I walked over expecting to find someone in a nesting box. Nope. [​IMG] So, I went and checked on the chicks in the shed, and came back out and was going over to check behind the coop since Sunny was still taking a fit. I looked over at the gate a few feet from the coop, and there sat a stinkin' hawk! I didn't even realize at first what it was - I thought, who are you sitting up there, silly chicken... Then just that fast, I realized what it was [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] The hawk flew off before I could think to wing a rock or something at it, but I came in and asked DH how he felt about hawk stew now that I can't find my little mini chicken (bantam Salmon Fav.) her best friend Party (a silkie), and my little Tiny (a frizzle cochin). I will have no qualms with sending this hawk "down the road" so to speak. The other day one of my australorps disappeared, no evidence of foul play what so ever. It almost had to be the hawk, but this thing was half the size of my BA girls, so maybe it wasn't him. [​IMG]

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that Mini, Party, and Tiny are hunkered down in the weeds somewhere, and show up - for that stupids hawks sake they'd better! Anybody have a HUGE rooster they don't want, preferably a carnivorous hawk eating roo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by