Red-tailed Hawk hanging around about 100 yards away. If I am with my girls, will it still attack?

Apr 30, 2018
Tooele, UT
At least once a day, sometimes more, I like to let my girls out of the covered run and do a little free-ranging so the can stretch their legs and wings. Because our property has NO trees or bushes (we are filling in landscaping this spring), I never leave them alone! I stand in the yard with them the entire time but when I see the hawk, I have to shuttle them back into their run. The hawk flies by and perches on a tree limb across the street from my house and just sits there. My question is would this hawk or other bird of prey attack my flock while I'm out there with them? I do not have a rooster; I'm kind of playing that part when I'm out there with them.

Probably depends on how interested this bird is. My hubby was out in the yard while our chickens were in their netted run, and a hawk still buzzed by the run.

Someone at our feed store said a hawk snatched one of his ducklings while he was standing in the yard.

If the hawk is small enough that it can't actually take a chicken, then if nothing else you should be able to jump in before anything serious happens.

While you are there it's less likely it would attack. It will likely hang around though and wait for an opportunity. It's not impossible though for it to make a move while you are there.

It would be best if you kept your flock in their save coop and covered run for at least two weeks, usually enough time for that hawk to give up and move on. Many folks here have had hawks attack chickens right in front of them, and that first strike is often fatal. Your visitor might get hungry enough to give it a try, so don't give him a chance!
Mary

Back
Top Bottom