!#*% ! Red Tailed Hawk

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Frannabelle, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    My bantam Mama hen attacked and killed by a red tail this afternoon...this is my first predator loss. I could just cry I feel so bad.
    It's pretty cold here in Michigan too. It's almost dark out so I went and put the babies under my lonesome broody girl holdout, she let them snuggle under her (I can't believe it!), so maybe she'll take over!

BooHoo
    [​IMG]

2. Kat'sChicks

Kat'sChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Minonk, IL
    I am sooooo sorry! I lost a silkie chick to one a couple of weeks ago, so I know what you're feeling. When I go to that area I get a bit sad..... hugs!

3. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Thanks!

Kat'sChicks :

I am sooooo sorry! I lost a silkie chick to one a couple of weeks ago, so I know what you're feeling. When I go to that area I get a bit sad..... hugs!​

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm so sorry for your loss. Is that the hen that you lost in that photo or the broody? That's a really cute photo. I saw it in the baby chicks forum.

5. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    Yes, that's her. She is the same girl I posted the other day in the baby chicks forum
    Thanks for the thought!

Quote:

6. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I was going to comment on how adorable she looked with that little chick hanging out the day you posted it. Now, I'm twice as sad. Looks like she was a good broody. [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  7. sarahsark

sarahsark Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm so sorry. Hate hawks. One came and landed on my fence, looking around at my birds in broad daylight. My dog charged it and it took off.

She was a beautiful chicken. [​IMG]

Hopefully the babies will be ok with the other hen.

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    So sorry for your loss. I lost a duck last year to a migrating red-tail, so this year I am being very cautious. I am hoping not to be posting a story similar to yours this year. Hope the babies do well with their new mom.

9. Frannabelle

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I just checked on the babies, my broody girl has taken them under wing! I hope when they wake up tomorrow morning, she just thinks she hatched them out!

10. Eireitalia

Eireitalia New Egg

Jun 10, 2010
    Virginia
    Awww I am sorry! We had a red tailed hawk in our yard just last week. My son scared him off to protect our flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by